Thursday, September 27, 2012

I'm on a roll....here's Bruce!

Ahh Bruce, where do I begin?  My first-born son, my quiet, serious, but hilarious and fun-loving 10 year old.  My Grandma told me something a long time ago that I never really understood until I had Bruce.  She said "Sarah, you'll love all your children the same but wait till you have a son, he will steal your heart and you'll never want it back!"  And as always, Grandma was right.

Bruce has been through so much in the last while.  He was diagnosed with ADHD and autistic tendencies.  What's the difference between autistic tendencies and autism, you ask?  Well, not a whole lot; I think it's just that on the autism spectrum Bruce presents at the low end or has the least amount of characteristics/symptoms.  We are still learning, so bear with me.

Here's a great starting point if you're interested in learning more:
http://www.autismontario.com

So Bruce is on a medication for the two disorders and has been adjusting so well.  His behaviour has changed so much (no suspensions, no bus reports, a huge decrease in fighting with his siblings)  Bruce has always been a sweet, caring, gentleman of a boy but he got a bit lost in there for a while. 
He's back and wow am I ever proud of who he's becoming!

Bruce is super excited that basketball starts just after Thanksgiving.  He has signed up to be on the travel team this year and is looking forward to our weekends away at tournaments.  Last year, he missed out because not enough kids in his division were interested in the travel team. 

And he's also interested in trying out karate or some other form of martial arts so we are looking into that for him. 




  I think I've taken so many photos of the kids that some of them (especially Bruce) are getting sick of it!  I pull out my camera and Bruce groans!

No comments: